Data Update #1

1. What dataset will you use for your final report? (title of your dataset, include a link to it and claim it at the URL above). 
  • My dataset is titled "Sewer mains" and contains data about sewer mains in Vancouver. You can access the dataset here.
2. Describe the dataset. What kind of data does it contain? 
  • This dataset contains information on Vancouver's sewer mains which are vital to a city's infrastructure; especially in a rainy Vancouver! It includes various attributes such as effluent type, installation date, diameter, material, and condition.
3. Is there anything about your data that you don’t understand? (i.e. what a column heading means). How will you find this out? 
  • One thing that I would like to clarify is the condition aspect of the sewers. I want to know what constitutes good and what constitutes bad conditions in terms of sewers. Secondly, I think it's important to focus on the effluent type - what is considered sanitary? What is considered stormwater? Are there any crossovers in categories? I will begin by looking at the metadata and any other similar data to determine my answers. 
4. What are some questions you hope to answer with your data? List at least three. (you don’t need the answers at this point) 
  • What percentage of sewer mains are made from concrete versus. PVC? 
  • Which effluent type is most common?
  • Does there appear to be a preferred material for each effluent type?

Comments

  1. Hi Lucas! Interesting choice to use Vancouver sewers as part of your story but it could lead to a good story if something that shouldn't be the case comes up. One thing I'm wondering is what the heck does effluent mean? I know I could look it up but if you make a story on it, I think an explanation of that definition could be good! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucas! I like your choice of studying the sewer systems in Vancouver. Analyzing your data could uncover a lot of exciting information. You kept your data update short and concise, making it easy to understand. I would only suggest using a simpler version of the word "effluent." I am unfamiliar with that word or sewer systems, so using a simpler term or explanation would be appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lucas, I found your topic on sewer systems to be surprising. I'm not too familiar with sew systems and so I'm curious to see what you do with this project. As a topic that is unfamiliar to most, I think it would be nice to see an explanation for why this is important/interesting. Like what significance will the answers to your questions have to the common reader? Additionally, something minor you could implement in the next Update, would be to hyperlink the title, "Sewer mains," instead to the "here" to more smoothly integrate the URL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lucas I feel like not everyone talks about this specific problem as much and how important it is to society itself. I was caught off guard by the word effluent, I guess that was my fault but if you could have used liquid waste instead that would have helped me understand a bit. It seems like you are trying to understand the cleanliness of sewer lines which is the main point of your research and I think is a topic many people do not want to know since its disgusting to talk about but it is great you are bringing it the the forefront.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lucas! Something that I noticed is that within your questions it may be tough to sell the answers for a lead, perhaps using the dates in the dataset can help give some nice rates and changes that you can speak on. You could make a geographical map showing where all of the oldest and newest pipes are in Vancouver which I believe could be interesting. i believe that you have done your research and this dataset would be perfect, like you said, for people in rainy Vancouver to read up on! Great job and good luck

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment