Data Update #3

Chart

The Relationship between Abandoned Calls and Average Speed of Answer

Sum of Calls Abandoned
Average of Average Speed of Answer
2009
48,970
92.65
2010
40,283
32.72
2011
35,922
21.16
2012
33,443
17.27
2013
46,934
28.24
2014
65,890
48.54
2015
91,552
73.49
2016
61,740
53.19
2017
50,608
48.91
2018
69,585
72.15
2019
70,956
94.58
2020
39,806
67.64
2021
26,263
65.89
2022
26,731
68.04
2023
19,661
48.21

Question

Why did abandoned calls peak in certain years, and how did these trends relate to fluctuations in average answer speed?

Link and Summary

News Link Here

The number one factor as to why most calls are abandoned is the wait time to reach a person is too long. The CBC article on Vancouver’s 311 call center highlights seasonal surges as a major contributor to peaks in abandoned calls, particularly during the holiday period. During times of increased demand, such as around Christmas, call volumes often exceed the center’s capacity, leading to longer-than-usual wait times. When callers experience these delays, they are more likely to abandon calls.

This increased volume during certain periods puts stress on the staff, directly impacting the average speed of answer. As more calls come in and the queue lengthens, the average time to answer each call rises, leading to higher abandonment rates as customers grow frustrated with long wait times. This pattern explains why certain years may see peaks in abandonment rates when demand is especially high.

New Slice

Slice

Original Dataset

Dataset

Comments

  1. Hi Lucas! You have, a nice and clean datawrapper chart that represents your data nicely. Is the average speed of answers represented in seconds, minutes, or something else? I would definitely add that in your datawrapper chart so it gives clarity to viewers. You have a nice question, and I think the article you chose supports your data and answers part of the question you are asking. Christmas time is busy season for most, so I can see abandoned phone calls being higher during that period of time. Overall, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucas. Interesting choice of topic you picked and I think the sum of calls abandoned chart does a good job of really stating the numbers. One thing I don't understand is the speed of answer from the chart, is it in seconds, milliseconds, or some other form of measurement. Also I believe your chart is also treating it as part of the bar chart, which kind of looks weird and out of place, so if you can find a way to make it a separate data graph (I think tableau would be best for that sort of thing) it might make your chart look cleaner. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lucas! You're summary of the related news article did a great job of explaining that the main driver for abandon calls was the long wait time. Since the external source identified a relationship between the peak in abandoned calls to the holiday period, it may be beneficial to tailor your chart and question so that it speaks to this seasonal change as opposed to comparing the yearly results. Can't wait to see where you take this for the final.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi lucas, Pretty good topic i think abandoned calls happen more when lots of people are calling at once, like during the holidays. When there are too many calls, it takes longer to answer, and people hang up because they don’t want to wait. The more people wait, the longer it takes to answer, and even more calls get dropped. This happens especially in busy years when there are more calls than usual. To fix this, call centers can get more staff or use things like call-back options to help answer calls faster and stop people from hanging up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lucas! Interesting topic that you’re dealing with here! I like how your chart is laid out, and I believe this style of bar chart works perfectly with how you are displaying the information. You found out the answer to your question in the summary which is great, and it would be interesting to see what happened in 2015. Something that I would like to see is when you offer the average of speed to answer, is a measurement to base what this average is. Overall great topic and I hope it goes well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment